We get it – work can be stressful sometimes. On top of that, the recent COVID-19 outbreak has left us in unchartered waters, adding pressure and unnecessary stress. Take a look at our top 10 tips to de-stress at work:
- Breathe. Breathe in through your nose & out through our mouth. Focus on drawing air into your belly rather than raising your cheat, instead of shoulders up and down – think belly in & out. Do this over 4 counts, then 5, 6, 7, 8 etc.
- Breathe again. This time do the 4-7-8 technique, breathe in through your nose counting to 4, hold you breathe for 7 counts & breath out through you mouth for 8 counts. Repeat it as many times necessary – 5 should be sufficient.
- Have a cup of tea – peppermint or chamomile are best.
- Eat a snack – (don’t eat your feelings) but go for some nuts, half an avocado, a boiled egg or some fruit salad.
- Buy yourself a pot plant – a succulent or a little bonsai. Plants are proven de-stressors.
- Put some music on!
- Support & contact a friend or a loved one.
- Ensure you exercise to your daily routine.
- Chew gum – not the most elegant but it’s proven to reduce cortisol.
- Go for a walk.
With self-isolation & working from home being the new normal – it’s probably an opportune time to get a kitten or a puppy too!
Stay safe, stay happy, stay motivated!
This too shall pass.